I don’t know which is the bigger accomplishment, getting the ceilings done downstairs or blogging about it! Summer and I have been so busy with work and Sydney that we haven’t had time to post the pictures of the soffit work and drywall on the ceilings downstairs. Aside from that, it has been hectic trying to get settled back into the house. There is drywall dust EVERYWHERE and we are only able to really work around Sydney’s nap schedule. Life has changed 🙂
Now, looking at these pictures, you need to understand that so much more went into this behind the scenes. First off, we have the electrical work. Brian flew in from Florida for a 7 day trip and ended up staying for 21 days! Apparently, the last guy we had down here completely butchered the electrical work and basically spit in the general direction of electrical code and standards. He didn’t ground outlets (we have gone through 3 battery back up units and the computer on Summers’ commercial sewing machine fried). Not to mention the fire hazard of ungrounded electrical run in a wood house. So, the former electrical rats nest known as our home, was rewired downstairs. We also added all the recessed lighting (good luck finding commercial grade recessed cans on the west side of the island), ran Internet up to the kitchen, set up the wiring in the wall for a TV downstairs and ran electric out of the front of the house on the left and right side for future landscape lighting and to have outdoor outlets. Brian did a ton of work that was above and beyond his responsibilities. He also fixed some plumbing issues around the dishwasher and cleaned out the sewer pipes before we close everything up. Man, I get tired just thinking about all the work he did.
Then came the next bit of work. Cleaning out all of the rooms and getting ready for the crew to come in and do the ceilings. We wanted everything out of the way so nothing was in the way and so nothing got broken. Cleaning downstairs was a much bigger project that we thought and we left more behind and open to damage than we wanted to when we left, but with Sydney and packing for two months in California we couldn’t get it all done.
The work took about 5 weeks to complete. Thank goodness we weren’t here for all that banging. At this point, we are sick of hearing the banging of construction and people coming over asking for money, running over our baby plants, driving on our lawn (around the rocks we have set up to stop people from doing that) or honking the horn in the driveway just as we get the baby to go to sleep.
So, without any further delay, here are the pictures of the ceilings, soffits, fans and recessed lighting downstairs.
Here are the big things left on my ‘to do list’:
- Tile Downstairs
- Install leftover hardwood floors in the gym/guest bedroom
- Find a wood worker to build and install big ‘shutter style’ windows like we have upstairs
- Find and install french doors (get rid of iron bars downstairs)
- Recycle the iron bars by welding them into our front gate
- Back deck